By: Mohammed Mumtazimul Aiyat
Tables turn, bridges burn, America lives but never learns. Donald Trump was elected as the president of the United States in the year 2017. People thought he would be a good president, well, at least better than Hillary Clinton. But what people didn’t think about was how he might affect the International community as his presidential campaign screamed; “Make America Great Again!” And only America. This is relevant as it might essentially affect how the international community runs or even change certain policies due to Trump’s actions and his relation with other countries. I think it’s very important to note that he has a very different perspective of modern-day problems such as gender inequality and racism, his “efforts” towards making America a better place (Yes, it includes the wall) and his other actions have caused tensions to rise throughout the world. And, these tensions will be a crucial factor if something goes wrong.
“When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win.”
Trump has been highly engaged with multiple things that are already affecting the community, such as the trade war that is currently building tension between America and the rest of the world. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) released a major report that projected the world’s economy will grow by 3.7 percent, which is 0.2 points lower than they had estimated in April. That’s the same rate of growth as 2017, signaling a slight slowdown — and Trump’s trade policies are a major reason why. “When you have the world’s two largest economies at odds, that’s a situation where everyone suffers,” says the IMF’s chief economist, Maurice Obstfeld, to the reporters. He added that global growth could further drop “close to a percentage” if the trade war continues.
“I am not a racist. I’m the least racist person you will ever interview”
Trump’s judgment towards gender inequality and racism is opposed by many. He tweeted fake statistics claiming that African Americans are responsible for the majority of murders of whites, and in some speeches, he linked African-Americans and Hispanics with violent crime. Also, he gave out comments on Mexican immigrants that were later criticized as racist: “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” In a January 2018 in an Oval Office meeting to discuss immigration legislation with Congressional leaders, Trump reportedly referred to El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, and African countries as “shitholes.” He even ordered a ban on citizens of countries with a Muslim majority.
Donald Trump has always been a national “hero”. Although he is often considered “the worst president of the century,” he has done and taken actions that improved not only America, but also its ties with other countries. Trump has changed the lives of the low-skilled workers in America. Manufacturing jobs have increased by the fastest rate in 23 years and unemployment has reached the lowest point ever recorded. And according to Wall Street Journal, wages have risen by 3.1%, which was the biggest jump since 2009. Also, in December of 2018, Trump had declared offense against the ISIS in Syria, eventually claiming the last territory held by ISIS. But although he has done good for the country, it’s just not enough for covering up the damage he has done.
Thus, as to conclude, although Trump has taken certain actions that have benefited, well, not only the US but also the world indirectly, they might not be enough for him to cover up the things he has done that have affected the world negatively.
- Thiessen, Marc, “The 10 best things Trump has done in 2018,” The Washington Post. The Washington Post Publications. December 31, 2018. https://www.vox.com/2018/10/9/17955106/imf-economy-trump-trade-wahttps://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-10-best-things-trump-has-done-in-2018/2018/12/31/a2de64b6-0d1b-11e9-84fc-d58c33d6c8c7_story.html?utm_term=.3bae173d6fff. Accessed on April 10, 2019.
- The Washington Post is a major American daily newspaper founded in 1877 nd published in Washington, D.C., with a particular emphasis on national politics and the federal government. The Washington Post has the largest circulation in the Washington metropolitan area. Its slogan “Democracy Dies in Darkness” began appearing in 2017. It won about 47 Pulitzer prizes. It gives information about the positive side of Trump since he has been elected as President.
- Ward, Alex, “Trump’s trade war is hurting the global economy,” Vox News. Vox Publications. October 9, 2018. https://www.vox.com/2018/10/9/17955106/imf-economy-trump-trade-war-growth. Accessed on April 10, 2019.
- Vox is an American news and opinion website founded in April 2014 by Ezra Klein, Matt Yglesias and Melissa Bell. It is owned by the company “Vox Media”. It is noted for its concept of explanatory journalism of the modern world. It is the 30th most popular news website used by Americans. This source provides information regarding the trade war between Trump and china and other relevant information connected to it.
- “President Trump: Seven ways the world has changed,” BBC News. BBC Publications. April 25, 2017. https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37918242. Accessed on April 10, 2019.
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is a British public service broadcaster. Its headquarters are in Westminster, London, and it is the world’s oldest national broadcasting organisation and the largest broadcaster in the world by number of employees. BBC employs over 20,950 staff in total, 16,672 of whom are in public sector broadcasting. The total number of staff is 35,402 when part-time, flexible, and fixed-contract staff are included altogether. It gives information about how Trump’s recent actions while at the office has changed America’s relation with other countries.