By: Anirudh Srinivas
“If we can teach people about wildlife, they will be touched. Share my wildlife with me. Because humans want to save things that they love.” Steven Irvin
Murdered, hunted down brutally. Being erased off the face of the earth. Killed for cosmetics. This is the current fate of animals. Do the lives of animals not matter anymore? Don’t they deserve the same rights as every single citizen in this world has? Their lives matter. If we were living in a perfect world, that would not even be a question, since both humans and animals would together be thriving and fully living in prosperity and peace. Sadly that is not the case. In the last century, the total number of animals in the world has decreased by 70%, compared to a 30% decrease from the 11th century to the 19th century. Humans have truly turned into monsters of rage as they act as though they do not have a heart. If this cruel and misguided behavior continues, then the entire living ecosystem that surrounds us will disappear forever, plunging the earth into eternal doom, paving the way for the end of the human race.
So first, what is animal poaching? So many people in this world are misguided in what they think poaching truly is. Some say it is the natural killing of animals in self-defense; others say it is animals killing each other purely out of rage. In 2014 the University of Michigan surveyed 200 citizens in the US asking them what animal poaching is. Only 20 of those people answered correctly or were even close enough. So that indicates that 1 person out of every 10 people surveyed actually knew what animal poaching is. So what is animal poaching? According to the Encyclopedia of Earth, “Poaching is the illegal hunting, killing or capturing of animals. This can occur in a variety of ways”. Different species of animals get poached every year due to their globally beneficial assets which include rhino horns and elephant tusks. These items can be broken down and grounded into powder or other various substances, which can be used in various creams and shampoos. Other assets include various cat furs which are used to make carpets and rugs. This is not uncommon. Everyone is involved in this act of crime. By buying hair cream and carpets, most of the people in this world contribute to the death of wildlife.
Animals do not get poached only for their assets.
Many hunters and criminals poach or smuggle animals for them to keep as a trophy or as a pet. Without the proper certification, these animal “caretakers” physically cannot cope with the needs of these animals, so they either abandon them, or they treat them like common skirmishes until the animals themselves cannot cope with their masters.
So what is being done to prevent animal poaching? Is there any way to truly eradicate this poaching fever? Can critically endangered species be saved and left alone to live their lives in peace and harmony? These are questions that even experts can not truly answer. These factors all depend on us, the people. If this world fights for animal rights, then both animals and humans together will have a bright future. Groups like WWF(World Wildlife Federation) and National Geographic constantly fight for the freedom of all wildlife inhabitants of this world. But the true help comes from the 7 billion people that call this planet home. If we help, life will prosper and flourish. Even with all the different actions taken to prevent this cruel deed, our future will not be as bright as we expect. We need your hand. We need your power. We need your voice. Only if we have more voices can we truly save the animals and protect the future generation.
Most of us in this world, do not perform this inhuman act of cruelty on purpose(hopefully).
Most of the people in this world, just do not know what is the ongoing situation of the life of animals, and they do not know how they are contributing to the animal’s extinction.
This is why the internet exists today. Not for playing games or watching youtube videos, but to get educated. News about the near extinction of many species top the headlines in many countries, and the fact that most people read this and completely ignore it is unacceptable. We need the power of the world, so please get yourself educated and come fight for the fate of our world.
Every year millions of animals die due to heavy poaching, where they get sold for medicine, skin cream, shampoo, and other various items and cosmetics or they get captured only to become a pet. If this brutal, beast-like behavior continues, then the end is soon upon us. We need to protect the future of our kids, the future of our society, the future of the homo sapien race.
So please fight.
Please stop this cruelty.
Please save the animals.
NO ANIMAL POACHING.
- Wardlow, Tisha. “Animals Aren’t The Only Ones Dying From Poaching.” The Dodo, The Dodo, 16 Jan. 2015, www.thedodo.com/poaching-its-killing-more-than-933884874.html.
- “Act Now to Save Wildlife: 5 Actions That Make a Difference.” World Bank, www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2017/11/28/act-now-to-save-wildlife-5-actions-that-make-a-difference.
- Actman, Jani. “Poaching Animals, Explained.” Poaching Animals, Facts, and Information, 12 Feb. 2019 www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reference/poaching-animals/.
- Clinton, Hillary, and John Kasich. “We can’t cede ground on animal poaching.” Washington Post, 1 Feb. 2019. Opposing Viewpoints in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A572068069/OVIC?u=60iskl&sid=OVIC&xid=b28704b1. Accessed 19 Mar. 2019.
- Colwyn, et al. “What Exactly Is Animal Poaching? Part 2 of Series.” Nikela, 28 Jan. 2019, www.nikela.org/what-exactly-is-animal-poaching/.
- “Illegal Wildlife Trade.” WWF, World Wildlife Fund, www.worldwildlife.org/threats/illegal-wildlife-trade.
- “Poaching.” Environmental Encyclopedia, edited by Deirdre S. Blanchfield, Gale, 2011. Opposing Viewpoints in Context, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CV2644151077/OVIC?u=60iskl&sid=OVIC&xid=527f7677. Accessed 18 Mar. 2019.
- “Wildlife Conservation Quotes (34 Quotes).” Goodreads, Goodreads, www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/wildlife-conservation.